Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Cautious Cleanup of Biohazardous Conditions in a Coral Springs Property
We often take for granted that our Coral Springs home is secure from the invasion of microorganisms like germs, bacteria, molds, and viruses. Add on to that flooding with sewage backups, and health risks are real threats.
Skilled SERVPRO of West Coral Springs / West Parkland personnel can help since we are accredited from the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certifications (IICRC). This essential non-profit company provides the guidelines and methods for the cleanup and restoration industry—the Gold Standard.
Sources of Biohazardous Threats
Microorganisms can be neutral, health-threatening, or beneficial to individuals who live in the Coral Springs area. When an established technique for the safe removal of biohazardous materials from a location, SERVPRO is a logical choice.
• Wear PPE personal protective equipment from a Tyvek full suit to headgear including goggles and an OSHA-approved respirator
• Erect containment barriers to separate the contaminated zone of the structure using 6-mil thick polyethylene tarps
• Establish a staging area to limit the tracking of contaminants and drift
• HEPA filtered air scrubbers to remove particulates as small as .04 microns from the inside air
• Double bags any debris for discarding
• Follow OSHA standards according to the service
• Uses EPA approved agents for disinfecting and deodorizing
The list of potentially hazardous materials found from intrusion or construction materials can include asbestos, wall coatings, which are handled by our RRRP-Lead-Paint Activities and Renovation team.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (954) 973-4130
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of West Coral Springs / West Parkland has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Coral Springs
- Eagle Trace
- Commerce Park of Coral Springs
- North Springs
- Heron Bay